Paid Python Programming Internship
New York // Part Time // Research
The Jain Family Institute is seeking an intern, in college or early graduate school, to contribute to our current projects on algorithmic ethics and digital curation. The ideal candidate has a wide-ranging curiosity, particular interest in the social impact of automated decision support systems, and strong Python programming skills. She or he will be joining a small team of generalist-practitioners with backgrounds in philosophy, physics, economics, social science, and data science working on experimental development of applied algorithmic fairness metrics and fairness auditing tools.
The internship carries a stipend of $6,000 for approximately 15 hours per week over six months. Those interested should send a CV or résumé with contact information, a letter of interest, and an overview of previous programming projects, to email@example.com.
Selected candidates will be invited to an in-person interview in our Manhattan office in late April.
The preferred due date is April 26th, after which we will accept applications on a rolling basis.
Time commitment: approximately 15 hours a week
Attendance: one to two times weekly, at meetings in our SoHo office
The intern's tasks will include:
- development and implementation of auditing tools for decision support systems using existing proposals for fairness;
- experimenting with novel approaches to algorithmic bias detection;
- supporting efforts in classification, cataloging, and explanation of the effects of existing systems
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Familiarity with Python
- Familiarity with core concepts in data science and/or statistics
- Excellent analytic or quantitative skills; strong communication
Helpful Skills and Qualifications
- Prior knowledge of the algorithmic fairness debate
- Knowledge of machine learning
- Background in ethics, social justice, and/or political theory
- A stipend of $6,000, paid in monthly installments of $1,000
- The possibility of publishing new research under the auspices of Jain Family Institute
- Opportunities to meet with scholars, policy experts, and leaders in finance, business, education, and the arts
The Jain Family Institute is a research incubator that builds promising ideas into real-world pilots. Our work investigates and influences the structural forces that affect the way people live, work, and learn. Our team collaborates with industry, government, and academia to pilot scalable, high-impact interventions.
For details about our staff and current projects, see http://www.jainfamilyinstitute.org/.
Sign up for our newsletter, a weekly roundup of the most compelling research and writing from around the web.